Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Writing this after a few days. Last couple of days had been hectic but otherwise very productive. I managed to collect enough drifting ice samples from the fjord, so hoping some algae in them. Having said that one of my colleagues reported that the phytoplankton abundance in the fjord is extremely low, the spring bloom here commences not until late April. If I am lucky, perhaps might be able to get a snapshot in the samples. The compulsory rifle training went well too. This means now I am licensed to carry a gun for protection from polar bear whilst in the field. For the last few days I have been filtering as much water as possible. It would be interesting to analyze once back in India. Today had the opportunity to experience real Arctic weather, the day had been windy and the wind chill was unbelievable, it was making everybody feel as if -30C. Also today went to one of the bays to collect ice core samples. I have attached a movie file so you can understand how the weather was like. More later....

No comments:

Post a Comment